Aetna (NYSE: AET) today announced results of an analysis of the Dental Medical Integration (DMI) program. Program outcomes show that good dental health may reduce medical costs and improve overall health. To date, DMI program members who visited the dentist have:
- Lowered their medical claim costs by an average of 17 percent, 1
- Improved diabetes control by 45 percent, 2
- Used 42 percent less major and basic dental services, 1 and
- Required 3.5 percent fewer hospital admissions year-over-year compared to a 5.4 percent increase for non-members. 1
“The mission of our DMI program is to keep our members healthy and reduce their cost of health care,” said Mary Lee Conicella, DMD and Chief Dental Officer for Aetna. “We’ve proactively reached over 1.5 million members since the program began. The results show that members with coordinated dental and medical care are healthier.”
The DMI program launched in 2007. It was the result of research Aetna completed with Columbia University College of Dental Medicine that found:
- Members who received preventive dental treatment while pregnant had 25 percent lower pre-term delivery rates and 34 percent fewer incidents of low birth weight, 3 and
- Members with diabetes or cardiovascular disease who received dental care had an average of 27 percent lower risk scores. 4
The DMI program uses technology to automatically identify members with diabetes, cardiovascular disease, or who are pregnant. Members with those medical conditions who have not recently seen the dentist receive education by mail and phone on the importance of regular dental care. Aetna dental coordinators are available to help DMI members choose a dentist and schedule an appointment. DMI members qualify for enhanced dental benefits such as an extra cleaning and periodontal services covered at 100 percent to help prevent more serious and costly issues. The enhanced dental benefits are not subject to deductible or coinsurance and do not count toward annual plan maximums. There is no added cost to members or plan sponsors for the DMI program.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV