Instagram is now getting ads, for instance. Yahoo (YHOO) would love to turn itself into Facebook, but hasn't figured out the internal growth trick yet.
Our Chris Ciaccia has looked at the coming Twitter IPO and it's easy to conclude that Facebook's own S-1 made more sense. Facebook had more than 10 times Twitter's revenue when it went public; had three times as many users, and was actually showing a profit.
Yes, Facebook still has the problems typical of the college years. A party advertised in England on the service drew 600 gatecrashers who trashed the place. Brazil is threatening to take the service down there if Facebook doesn't take some data down. Facebook is even building its own "dorm" for top employees, next to its headquarters, a 21st century company town so that the work and party never end.
All this success is leading to the inevitable backlash, the type any popular jock or beauty queen might face from the nerds and less-popular kids. Buzzfeed now says that Snapchat is cooler, that it's taking on social aspects and that since its data gets automatically erased, it's a safer place to play.Maybe. Facebook was born into a youth culture, and created a new one from scratch. It's sort of like the late Dick Clark, but its American Bandstand has been on only for a few years.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV