RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK, N.C., Oct. 4, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Grifols Inc., a leading manufacturer of life-saving plasma protein therapies, today announced the launch of the SPIRIT ( S tudy of P lasma-derived factor VIII/VWF in I mmune tole R ance I nduction T herapy) registry for patients with hemophilia A at the National Hemophilia Foundation (NHF) annual meeting in Anaheim, Calif. The SPIRIT registry will enroll U.S. patients with hemophilia A and inhibitors being treated with Grifols' plasma-derived factor VIII/VWF product, ALPHANATE ® (antihemophilic factor/von Willebrand factor complex [human]).
According to the registry's lead investigator, Rebecca Kruse-Jarres, M.D., of Tulane University, this observational study fills an important void.
"There is not a lot of prospective data to help us understand how patients with inhibitors respond to treatment, especially as it relates to adherence and quality of life. The data from the SPIRIT registry will give us more information to treat our patients and should complement the ongoing RESIST study."Dr. Kruse-Jarres will present a poster at the NHF meeting that outlines the registry design. "The SPIRIT registry is another example of Grifols' commitment to the hemophilia community," said Eva Bastida, Ph.D., Vice President of Scientific and Medical Affairs at Grifols. "We are happy to launch this initiative and further support efforts to provide information to hemophilia treaters." About ALPHANATE ® Indications ALPHANATE ® (antihemophilic factor/von Willebrand factor complex [human]) is indicated for:
- Control and prevention of bleeding in patients with hemophilia A
- Surgical and/or invasive procedures in adult and pediatric patients with von Willebrand disease (VWD) in whom desmopressin (DDAVP) is either ineffective or contraindicated. It is not indicated for patients with severe VWD (Type 3) undergoing major surgery
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts