PACIFIC MISSILE RANGE FACILITY, KAUAI, Hawaii, Oct. 4, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- In a Missile Defense Agency test, the U.S. Navy fired a Standard Missile-3 Block IB, made by Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN), from the USS Lake Erie. The SM-3 eliminated the medium-range ballistic missile (MRBM) target at the highest altitude of any test to date.
"The next-generation SM-3 proved itself against a medium-range ballistic missile target at the highest altitude of any previous test. We remain on track to deliver this critical capability in time for a 2015 deployment in support of global combatant command requirements, and specifically phase two of the European Phased Adaptive Approach," said Dr. Taylor Lawrence, president of Raytheon Missile Systems.
The test was the 26th successful intercept for the SM-3 program and the fifth back-to-back successful test of the next-generation SM-3 Block IB guided missile.
"This highest intercept to date is a result of increasing the complexity of the testing scenarios, reflecting what we would see in an operational environment," said Dr. Mitch Stevison, Raytheon Missile Systems' SM-3 program director. "The missile continues to perform, increasing confidence in the SM-3 Block IB's readiness for production."For more information, go to www.raytheon.com. About the Standard Missile-3SM-3s destroy incoming ballistic missile threats by colliding with them, a concept sometimes described as "hitting a bullet with a bullet." The impact is the equivalent of a 10-ton truck traveling at 600 mph.
- More than 155 SM-3s have been delivered to the U.S. and Japanese navies.
- Raytheon is on track to deliver the next-generation SM-3 Block IB in 2015.
- SM-3 Block IB will be deployed in both sea-based and land-based modes.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV