MERRIAM, Kan., Oct. 4, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, Lee National Denim Day celebrates National Breast Cancer Awareness Month with one important goal – raising critical funds for American Cancer Society®'s breast cancer research and support programs. In the United States, 234,580 new cases of invasive breast cancer will be diagnosed this year, and today thousands of people nationwide will celebrate Denim Day® by wearing their jeans and donating $5 to this cause. Since its inception in 1996, Denim Day has raised more than $89 million to fight breast cancer, and today we hope to add millions to that total. With the American Cancer Society as Denim Day's beneficiary, funds raised will support life-saving screenings in communities nationwide; provide a free place to stay for those traveling away from home for cancer treatment; and invest in groundbreaking cancer research.
Leading the effort is Lee National Denim Day's 2013 survivor ambassador Amy Slater. As an avid runner and triathlete, Slater was stunned when she was diagnosed with stage III breast cancer at the age of 40. Beginning chemotherapy in February of 2013, she continues to fight valiantly with the daily encouragement of her friends. Every day, the American Cancer Society provides information, day-to-day help and emotional support for cancer patients like Amy.
"By joining together on Lee National Denim Day, we can all be a part of a nationwide support team to ensure no woman fights this disease alone," says Slater. "When I first found out I had breast cancer, the first thing I did was turn to my friends and family for support. It's the little things they do, like helping me run errands, that keep me going."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV