4 Things To Know About Fall Home Buying
But this can be an advantage if you continue your home search because you have less competition, he says.
Unfortunately, with fewer buyers available, many sellers choose to take their homes off the market, which limits the amount of homes available for sale, DeBord says.
"Along with people taking their homes off the market, we also don't get a lot of new listings, which further constricts inventory," he says.
No. 3: Buyers and sellers make sacrifices
This means if you make an offer, but can't come to terms with the seller and the deal falls through, there may not be another acceptable home on the market to buy, DeBord says. "You probably won't have a bunch of other houses that have exactly what you want," he says. Instead, you may have to loosen your requirements or wait until something acceptable goes up for sale.The way to minimize this negative aspect is to take a serious look at the homes that are available, because those sellers are likely much more motivated to make a deal, DeBord says. They may be more willing to give concessions, such as paying some of the buyer's closing costs, and may strongly consider lower offers. "Sellers will probably be more flexible in terms of price reductions," he says.
No. 4: Don't be greedyA seller may accept a lower offer, but don't be greedy, warns Jerry Grodesky, a real estate agent located near Chicago. Even though the fall market is smaller, there are still serious buyers out there, he says. Just as sellers are more motivated at this time of year, the buyers who are still searching are seeing their options reduced, so they are becoming more serious, too, he says. "Many buyers are motivated to close before the winter when weather and holiday schedules make it difficult to move," says Grodesky.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV