4 Things To Know About Fall Home Buying
Leaves are turning colors, there's a chill in the air, and autumn is upon us. It's time for the seasons to change, and if you are a homebuyer, many real estate experts say it is also time to change your home-buying strategies.
The fall real estate market sees less activity than the summer selling season, as sellers remove their homes from listings, and many buyers, particularly first-time homebuyers, stop searching, says Sam DeBord, a real estate agent with Coldwell Banker in Seattle.
There are still many ways for buyers to get a great home at a great price, however. "Don't get distracted by what everyone says about the market slowing down in the fall, because this can also be a very attractive time to buy," he says.
Here's a look at some of the benefits of fall buying, and ways to minimize the drawbacks.
No. 1: Mortgage rates still historically lowThis year, the fall home buying market is unique because current mortgage rates, while up off record lows in the spring, are still sitting at historic lows. "Someone shouldn't be discouraged from making a move in the fall because interest rates have increased," says Bruce Ailion, a real estate agent in Marietta, Ga. "Even though rates have gone up from where they were in March and April, they are still at a historic low relative to where they've been for the last 20 to 30 years." There's always a chance that next year, they won't be as low as they are now, he says.
No. 2: Less competition, but less choiceOne of the major reasons real estate activity slows down in the fall is because buyers with young children often stop looking for new homes once the school year starts, since they don't want to pull their children out of school, says DeBord.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV