What this means is Applied Materials, which is the world's largest chip equipment maker with a $21 billion market cap, is joining forces with the world's third-largest sector rival with an estimated market cap of $10 billion.
The question is what exactly did Applied Materials accomplish with this deal?
Given the level of business erosion through which Applied Materials has suffered, including a 16% revenue decline in the August quarter, picking off Tokyo Electron makes sense on many levels. Still, while the stock has done well, up more than 50% for the year to date, I haven't seen the sort of outperformance needed from Applied Materials that would support such investor optimism.(UTEK) and MKS Instruments (MKSI), there are no signs that the next order cycle, or for that matter the next several cycles, will show much (if any) improvement. Granted, things have been "less bad" of late. But let's not forget that in the August quarter Applied Materials posted a 12% sequential decline in system orders, of which there was a 50% decline in the all-important foundry business, leading to a 23% year-over-year decline in net income. A case can be made that Applied Materials is beginning to lose share to nimbler rivals such as Lam Research (LRCX), which has consistently grown both revenue and profits. To that end, Applied Materials investors who are now bidding up these shares solely on the basis on this deal don't fully understanding the risks that remain here. Not only does the company has to execute to synergize both operations, but Lam Research and Ultratech are just not going to sit idle and allow Applied Materials to sort things out. When you consider that the company just installed a new CEO in Gary Dickerson, the uncertainties begin to pile up.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV