Sterling Bank, the principal operating subsidiary of Sterling Financial Corporation (NASDAQ: STSA), this week launched two new prepaid card products, one version called the Everyday Cash Card and a student version called the Student Everyday Cash Card.
Both cards are similar to a debit or credit card in that they can be used anywhere Visa ® debit cards are accepted and at ATMs around the world. However, with prepaid cards, cardholders do not take on debt as they would with credit cards, and they are not linked to a deposit account like debit cards, meaning no overdraft fees can occur. These cards simply hold a balance of funds loaded onto the cards by the cardholders until purchases draw them down to a zero balance, at which point the cards can be reloaded with funds.
Prepaid cards, which are personalized with the cardholder’s name, also are eligible to receive direct deposit of payroll and government payments.
The student version of the card provides parents or guardians a way to send funds to children away from home, and serves as a tool to begin financial-management education.“Sterling’s prepaid cards offer an affordable alternative for those who want a traditional checking account,” said Patricia Baughman, SVP and director of Corporate Product Management and Market Research at Sterling Bank. “They also are great for customers who travel or make frequent online purchases and prefer to protect their primary account information. Additionally, they are a great budgeting tool, offering a means to control spending.” Customers have the ability to set up and define the following text or email alerts for their Everyday Cash Cards:
- Add or remove funds alerts
- Low-balance alerts where you can set your own low-balance definition
- Signature and PIN transaction alerts
- Weekly balance updates
- Address and status change alerts
- Declined transaction alerts
- International, out-of-state and card-not-present transactions alerts
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV