CHICAGO, Oct. 3, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today unveiled a new, signature seat design focused on customer comfort and environmental responsibility, with a sophisticated, modern look. The company will deploy the new seats on hundreds of aircraft that fly within the United States, Canada, Central America and the Caribbean.
The new design includes:
- Bold elements, such as multi-tonal leather seat covers, distinctive double-stitch patterns, sculpted contouring and a new United-branded tag
- More ergonomic and supportive cushioning and additional seat-back storage space in United Economy Plus and United Economy
- Technology that makes the seats more environmentally friendly by reducing seat weight and volume, contributing to less fuel burn
The airline is introducing the new design today with a Bombardier CRJ700 operated by United Express carrier SkyWest Airlines. United expects to deploy the new look on its domestic mainline aircraft and on regional aircraft operated by United Express carriers. Ultimately, United plans the new design to be on more than 60,000 seats on more than 500 aircraft, including, United anticipates, approximately 400 aircraft by 2015.
"Our customers will see a distinctive, consistent look on our aircraft that underscores our modern fleet and our onboard investments to make their travels more user-friendly," said Jeff Foland, United's executive vice president of marketing, technology and strategy.The airline developed the seats with global travel and transport design consultant Priestmangoode. Photos are available at http://newsroom.unitedcontinentalholdings.com/seatredesign. Customer-Friendly UpgradesIn September, United ranked among the top airlines in "Best Economy Class Flight Experience" in the USA Today-sponsored "10Best Readers' Choice Travel Awards" contest. As United continues to invest in customer products and service in the air and on the ground, the airline also offers:
- More aircraft with premium-cabin flat-bed seats than any other U.S. carrier
- More aircraft with extra-legroom economy seating than any other U.S. carrier
- Nearly 100 Wi-Fi-equipped aircraft and plans to outfit approximately 30 aircraft with satellite Wi-Fi each month, with nearly all of United's worldwide mainline fleet on schedule for completion in 2014
- Upgraded United Club lounges in Chicago O'Hare Terminal 2, Seattle and San Diego
- More aircraft with live television available than any other airline in the world
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts