Here's another interesting tweet from Fortt:
"If Gates keeps selling $MSFT stake at this rate & Ballmer doesn't start, Ballmer may be the biggest individual shareholder by 2015"
That's shocking to me. At just the time when Gates needs his founder status to brush off the arguments of activist investors and the ability to say he has "skin in the game," it looks like he can't wait to cash out his entire stake..
Steve Ballmer, looks like a guy who -- whether or not you believed in his strategic vision for the company -- was all in with his personal wealth at risk.
Gates should still be able to fend off these activists. And the activists are likely just using this as a negotiating tactic to get more change from Microsoft than they otherwise would.But this should be a huge wake-up call to Bill Gates. You're either in the boat to save the company you founded or you're not. If not, that's great. You're spending your billions to save the world, and that's a great thing. But if that's what you want to do mostly, you're getting in the way of change at Microsoft. If Gates truly cares about this company, he should not sell another share and really double down here on bringing this company back. That means a much more active job in Redmond -- maybe even the CEO spot. At the time of publication, Jackson had no positions in securities mentioned. Follow @ericjackson This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV