NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Equity markets continue to worry about the ongoing issues in Washington and as a result, have seen more selling pressure. TheStreet's Debra Borchardt has the morning rundown on what to watch for Thursday.
Entering the third day of the government shutdown, eyes are starting to shift to the debt ceiling debate, which many consider as a much more important issue.
The Treasury expects to hit the debt ceiling on Oct. 17 and because political compromise looks difficult to achieve, the CME raised its margin requirements by 9%.
Borchardt said that although Tesla Motors (TSLA) is finally pulling back because of an online video of a burning Model S and a downgrade from Baird, the stock is still up over 400% year-to-date.Shifting stocks, she went on to say that hedge fund manager Bill Ackman, notorious for his large short position in Herbalife (HLF), would be shifting strategies. Now 40% of the position is being held in LEAP put options, rather than short stock. The move comes after rumors that the company may seek to raise $2 billion in a bond offering to fund a large share buyback program. Finally, Sterne Agee upgraded Five Below (FIVE) and raised its price target to $56. The firm claimed it has potential with same-store sales and store growth, while catering to the value shopper. Video.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV