There are some very strong growth names with solid technicals and fundamentals that investors can put their money to work in instead of Apple. Google (GOOG), Priceline.com (PCLN), MasterCard (MA) and Starbucks (SBUX) are just a few examples.
Apple definitely isn't worthy of being called a growth stock anymore. Those looking for growth should go somewhere else, perhaps to the names mentioned above. But Apple would certainly qualify as a value stock.
Its valuation is dirt cheap, it has a safe and secure dividend yield of about 2.5% and the stock has potential. But many investors want growth now, not the potential for growth later.
Also, sentiment, up until recently, has been incredibly bearish, which could be a good contrarian indicator. Look at Yahoo! (YHOO), Best Buy (BBY) and Netflix (NFLX), which were all hated just a year ago.Bottom line: If you want growth and consistency now, sell your Apple stock and find something else. Presently, there are fewer catalysts and far too much drama to deal with vs. other stocks that continue to make new highs. But if you're looking to buy a company that's closer to the bottom than it is to the top, has arguably the best financials, and could possibly achieve near-explosive growth once again, then Apple is a stock for you -- so long as you're willing to wait. At the time of publication, Kenwell held shares of MA, SBUX, AAPL. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV