Bank of America (BAC) is among the better-qualified banks to weather what is expected to be a difficult third quarter for bank earnings, according to a pair of recent analyst reports.
While a slowdown in refinancing activity is expected to cause a sharp decline in mortgage production revenue for nearly all U.S. banks, Keefe Bruyette & Woods analyst Christopher Mutascio argues that Bank of America is in a good position to offset the negative trend.
"We believe BAC may have more levers to pull (lower expenses and greater reserve releases) to offset weak trends in fee income (mortgage and trading) than most banks heading into 3Q13 earnings season," wrote Mutascio in a report published Oct. 2
Wells Fargo analyst Matt Burnell urged investors to take a "defensive posture," for the near-term. "Heading into earnings, we believe the banks with the lowest exposure to [fixed income currencies and commodities] trading revenue and highest exposure to noncapital markets revenue should fare best in a relatively challenged quarter." In addition to Bank of America, Burnell argues JPMorgan Chase (JPM) and Morgan Stanley (MS) are similarly-positioned.
Both Burnell and Mutascio are officially neutral on Bank of America. Mutascio and his colleagues at KBW argue JPMorgan is better long-term play, while Burnell has outperform ratings on JPMorgan and Citigroup (C) among large diversified U.S. banks.
Follow Dan Freed on Twitter
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV