Kass: Shutdown Showdown
This probably means that a tapering is unquestionably off the table this month and, in all likelihood, off the table in December.
The first opportunity after December is January 2014, but I wouldn't rule out March 2014 as the month that a tapering is initiated.
What to Do?
The market will be heavily influenced by the news over the next two weeks, especially of a government kind.Neither fundamentals nor technicals hold the key. Stated simply, traders/investors don't control their investment destiny during this period of high drama over the next two weeks. It is probably a good time to sit on our hands. Or at least it is time for me to be less exposed. Why risk hard-earned investment capital in a market that has no memory from day to day and that is so dependent on outcomes that we can only guess and can have little conviction about? Two weeks from now, in all likelihood, there will be a resolution in Washington, D.C. And, at that time, we can again refocus on the challenges to sales and corporate profits in the upcoming quarters, which could pose a larger threat than the debates on budget and debt-ceiling issues.
This column originally appeared on Real Money Pro at 7:36 a.m. EDT on Oct. 3.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV