Kass: Shutdown Showdown
This probably means that a tapering is unquestionably off the table this month and, in all likelihood, off the table in December.
The first opportunity after December is January 2014, but I wouldn't rule out March 2014 as the month that a tapering is initiated.
What to Do?
The market will be heavily influenced by the news over the next two weeks, especially of a government kind.Neither fundamentals nor technicals hold the key. Stated simply, traders/investors don't control their investment destiny during this period of high drama over the next two weeks. It is probably a good time to sit on our hands. Or at least it is time for me to be less exposed. Why risk hard-earned investment capital in a market that has no memory from day to day and that is so dependent on outcomes that we can only guess and can have little conviction about? Two weeks from now, in all likelihood, there will be a resolution in Washington, D.C. And, at that time, we can again refocus on the challenges to sales and corporate profits in the upcoming quarters, which could pose a larger threat than the debates on budget and debt-ceiling issues.
This column originally appeared on Real Money Pro at 7:36 a.m. EDT on Oct. 3.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV