8. -- Samsung's operating profit hit another record high in the July-September quarter, likely driven by robust sales of its cheaper mid-range smartphones in developing countries.
The maker of Galaxy smartphones said Friday that its third-quarter operating income rose 25% from a year earlier to 10.1 trillion won ($9.4 billion). Analysts were expecting $9.3 billion.
Third-quarter sales at Samsung rose 13% to a record high 59 trillion won ($55 billion).Samsung's full results will be announced later in October.
9. -- Potbelly's initial public offering of 7.5 million shares was priced at $14 a share, above expectations. The sandwich maker has expected the offering to be priced at between $12 and $13 a share. The stock is expected to begin trading Friday on Nasdaq under symbol "PBPB."
10. -- Forest Oil (FST) said it will sell certain oil and gas assets in the Texas panhandle for $1 billion. The stock fell 0.9% on Thursday to $6.35.
-- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV