NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Recently the Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJIA) removed three stocks from its membership roster and added three new stocks in their place. The stocks that were kicked out: Alcoa (AA), Bank of America (BAC) and Hewlett-Packard (HP). The stocks added: Visa (V), Nike (NKE) and Goldman Sachs (GS).
I wrote about this change in another publication and why, in my opinion, it took so long for Visa to be added. I also analyzed the worthiness of Visa as a Dow member. Ultimately, what I determined is that Visa is a great stock that is worthy of the Dow, and its membership has been a long time in the making.
But what about Goldman Sachs? Why was it finally chosen as a DJIA member and is it actually worthy?
Data from Best Stocks Now App Goldman Sachs has been around a long time -- since 1869 -- which leads back to my question: Why now, Dow Jones? Headquartered in New York City with offices in major financial cities across the world, GS is a global investment banking and management and securities firm that provides a varied range of financial services to the likes of corporations, financial institutions and governments, as well as high-net-worth individuals. GS falls into the financial sector of the market. So far in 2013, the financial sector has had pretty mediocre performance. In fact, currently, I give the financial sector a grade of B-. Data from Best Stocks Now App GS is a $75 billion company. It is a large-cap stock. Large-cap stocks also have had pretty mediocre performance in 2013. Currently, the large-cap stock asset class gets a grade of B.
Data from Best Stocks Now App GS is a stock geared toward conservative risk-profile investors.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV