DALLAS, Oct. 2, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Texas Industries, Inc. (NYSE:TXI) today reported financial results for the quarter ended August 31, 2013. Results for the quarter were a net income of $.4 million or $.01 per share. Results for the quarter ended August 31, 2012 were a loss of $2.7 million or $.08 per share.
EBITDA from continuing operations for the August quarter equaled $37.8 million and EBITDA from continuing operations for the prior year's August quarter equaled $14.1 million. EBITDA for discontinued operations equaled $5.4 million in last year's August quarter. Continuing operations' EBITDA as a percentage of net sales for the August quarter this year and last year equaled 16.2% and 8.1%, respectively.
General Comments"EBITDA increased $23.7 million on $58.6 million higher net sales," stated Mel Brekhus, Chief Executive Officer. "The improved results reflect the continuing improvement in construction activity in all of our markets." "It is satisfying to start reaping the benefits from our recent strategic activities. So far, the start-up of our new kiln in central Texas has been the most successful of any I have been involved with in my career and we are realizing the benefits we expected from the expansion of our vertical integration footprint last spring. We continue to focus on doing everything we can to fully participate in the market recoveries under way, including accelerating the resumption of production from the first kiln in central Texas early next calendar year," added Brekhus. A teleconference will be held October 3, 2013 at 10:00 Central Daylight Time to further discuss quarter results. A real-time webcast of the conference is available by logging on to TXI's website at www.txi.com . The following is a summary of operating results for our business segments and certain other operating information related to our principal products.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV