UPPER MARLBORO, Md., Oct. 2, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The American Cancer Society's Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk is moving to Six Flags America. Due to the government shutdown the National Mall is unable to host the annual event. The walk, a staple in the fight against breast cancer, is moving to Six Flags America, 13710 Central Ave., Upper Marlboro, Md. just 20 minutes outside of Washington D.C.
"Making Strides helps the American Cancer Society continue to be the world's leader in the fight to end breast cancer," said Cathryn Burby, senior director of community engagement for the Society. "The money raised at this event helps the Society do the most for people with breast cancer today to end the disease tomorrow.
One in every two women newly diagnosed with breast cancer reaches out to us for help and support. Those critical resources are funded through efforts like Making Strides. We simply couldn't allow the federal government shutdown and consequential closure of The National Mall to stop our event and the incredible progress we are making in the fight against breast cancer. We are grateful to Six Flags America that they came to our side in our hour of need to relocate our Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk."
Making Strides Against Breast Cancer is the largest network of breast cancer awareness events in the nation, uniting nearly 300 communities to finish the fight. Every breast cancer walk and event is an incredible and inspiring opportunity to honor those who have battled breast cancer, raise awareness about what can be done to reduce the risk of breast cancer risk, and raise money to help the American Cancer Society fight the disease with research, information and services, and access to mammograms for women who need them.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV