NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- I was talking to Stephanie Link, co-portfolio director of Action Alerts Plus, about the government shutdown and how to trade the stock market during its hopefully short duration.
Now that major government generated data points like the jobs report on Friday are not going to be reported, I wondered how Stephanie was going to position the AAP portfolio.
Stephanie's first thought was that cash was a reasonable answer, preferring to sell assets and keep trading at a minimum while the shutdown was in effect.
But if it lasts for a more significant amount of time, Stephanie thought earnings would again take center stage as the most important data point to trade against.With a lack of fundamental information available, I thought that technical analyses of stocks would yield the likely winners and losers. With a possible loss of 1.5% of GDP growth in the event of a longer-term government stoppage, the bias of the stock market will be to the downside. It makes sense to look for technically bearish set-ups and trade mostly from the short side. The most government-dependent sectors, like health care and aerospace, would be the most likely to develop some of these profitable selling opportunities. I talk more about trading the shutdown with Stephanie in the video above. At the time of publication neither the author nor Action Alerts PLUS had positions in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @dan_dicker This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV