NYSE Liffe U.S., the innovative U.S. futures exchange of NYSE Euronext (NYX), today announced that it established a series of new volume and Open Interest records in its highly successful mini MSCI futures complex during both the month of September 2013 and Q3 2013.
- Record monthly volume in NYSE Liffe U.S. mini MSCI futures: 1.4M contracts (ADV of 68K) in September 2013
- Record daily volume in NYSE Liffe U.S. mini MSCI futures: 178K contracts on September 16 th
- Record monthly volume in mini MSCI Emerging Markets futures: over 1M contracts (ADV of 53K) in September 2013
- Record daily volume in mini MSCI Emerging Markets futures: 143K contracts on September 16 th
- Record OI in NYSE Liffe U.S. mini MSCI futures: 408K contracts on September 19, up 75% from year-end 2012 and representing a notional value of more than $20 billion
- Record quarterly volume of 2.4 million NYSE Liffe U.S. futures contracts during Q3, up 13% from Q2
“This activity marks the 9 th consecutive record quarter for mini MSCI futures volume since NYSE Liffe U.S. became the sole U.S. futures market for MSCI-based products,” said Cliff Weber, Head of Strategy and Product Development, NYSE Liffe U.S. “One particularly strong area of growth has been in the mini MSCI Emerging Markets contract, where we continue to see increased liquidity and broad industry adoption during the U.S. and European time zones. We believe that the launch of the new mini MSCI Emerging Markets Asia contract will continue to accelerate the global traction of this benchmark product set by targeting new users specifically from the Asia region.”
Following the success in the existing mini MSCI futures, customer demand has been strong for additional benchmark products as well as the ability to manage regional equity investments. As a result, in early Q4 2013 and subject to regulatory approval, NYSE Liffe U.S. will launch trading in futures on the MSCI ACWI, MSCI ACWI Ex-US and MSCI Emerging Markets Asia indices. These new products will be available in the central order book and for block trading via NYSE Liffe U.S.’ highly successful Block at Index Close (BIC) order type. To date, market participants have executed more than 1,350 transactions across the mini MSCI futures complex valued at more than $36 billion in notional value.