Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.Trade-Ideas LLC identified Dow Chemical (DOW) as a "water-logged and getting wetter" (weak stocks crossing below support with today's range greater than 200%) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Dow Chemical as such a stock due to the following factors:
- DOW has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $447.2 million.
- DOW has traded 2.2 million shares today.
- DOW traded in a range 3918.7% of the normal price range with a price range of $35.28.
- DOW traded below its daily resistance level (quality: 531 days, meaning that the stock is crossing a resistance level set by the last 531 calendar days. The resistance price is defined by the Price - $0.01 at the time of the signal).
Stocks matching the 'Water-Logged and Getting Wetter' criteria are worthwhile stocks to watch for a variety of factors including historical back testing and volatility. Trade-Ideas targets these opportunities because the stock is exhibiting an unusual behavior while displaying negative price action. In this case, the stock crossed an important inflection point; namely, "support" while at the same time the range of the stock's movement in price is twice its normal size. This large range foreshadows a possible continuation as the stock moves lower.EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in DOW with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for DOW NOW at Trade-IdeasMore details on DOW: The Dow Chemical Company manufactures and supplies chemical products for use as raw materials worldwide. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 3.3%. DOW has a PE ratio of 18.1. Currently there are 3 analysts that rate Dow Chemical a buy, 4 analysts rate it a sell, and 10 rate it a hold.The average volume for Dow Chemical has been 7.2 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Dow Chemical has a market cap of $47.3 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and chemicals industry. Shares are up 21% year to date as of the close of trading on Tuesday.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.TheStreetRatings.com Analysis:TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Dow Chemical as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its compelling growth in net income, revenue growth, solid stock price performance, attractive valuation levels and good cash flow from operations. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows low profit margins.Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Chemicals industry. The net income increased by 230.4% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $734.00 million to $2,425.00 million.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 2.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 0.4%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 240.00% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 37.42% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Turning to the future, naturally, any stock can fall in a major bear market. However, in almost any other environment, the stock should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed nice gains in the past year.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 154.14% to $3,741.00 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, DOW CHEMICAL has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of -7.17%.
- You can view the full Dow Chemical Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.
Latest Headlines about DOW
Latest from TheStreet Wire
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV