Another bull thesis argument is the Environmental Protection Agency's actions are benefiting solar. There's little doubt EPA administrator Gina McCarthy is doing everything in her power to destroy the coal industry. It's natural to conclude solar should be a enormous winner with the demise of coal.
Unfortunately, stopping new coal plants and forcing cuts in existing coal produced power is offset by the natural gas boom. Natural gas prices have fallen as production expanded faster than consumption. Solar needs to make significant cost per watt breakthroughs to become competitive.
Once solar is able to cross the line of cost competitiveness, the remaining solar stocks will have a sunny future. I don't think that day is far away, but wait until they bury the zombie solar stocks before investing.
At the time of publication the author had no position in any of the stocks mentioned.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV