Trade-Ideas: Monsanto Company (MON) Is Today's Unusual Social Activity Stock
- MON has more that 20x the normal benchmarked social activity for this time of the day compared to its average of 6.50 mentions/day.
- MON has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $217.5 million.
Identifying stocks with 'Unusual Social Activity' tends to be a valuable process for traders looking to capitalize on the 'talk of the town' stocks that are basking in far more attention from the StockTwits financial community than normal. Good press? Bad press? It ultimately doesn't matter if it's good or bad if you know how to trade around the sentiment. Certain hedge funds use such data for their proprietary algorithms and it is not uncommon to see shared social sentiment play itself out in a stock's price trend. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in MON with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for MON NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on MON: Monsanto Company, together with its subsidiaries, provides agricultural products for farmers worldwide. It operates in two segments, Seeds and Genomics, and Agricultural Productivity. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 1.6%. MON has a PE ratio of 22.9. Currently there are 12 analysts that rate Monsanto Company a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 3 rate it a hold. The average volume for Monsanto Company has been 2.8 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Monsanto has a market cap of $56.2 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and chemicals industry. The stock has a beta of 1.03 and a short float of 1.1% with 2.75 days to cover. Shares are up 11.4% year to date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Monsanto Company as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, notable return on equity, expanding profit margins and reasonable valuation levels. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 2.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 0.7%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- MON's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.16 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. To add to this, MON has a quick ratio of 1.96, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- MONSANTO CO' earnings per share from the most recent quarter came in slightly below the year earlier quarter. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, MONSANTO CO increased its bottom line by earning $3.78 versus $2.96 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($4.59 versus $3.78).
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Chemicals industry and the overall market on the basis of return on equity, MONSANTO CO has underperformed in comparison with the industry average, but has exceeded that of the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for MONSANTO CO is rather high; currently it is at 56.83%. Regardless of MON's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, MON's net profit margin of 21.39% compares favorably to the industry average.
- You can view the full Monsanto Company Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.