Meanwhile, our daughter is still looking for work, and her policy, on the exchange, will be $205 a month, or $2,460, when she turns 26. That is before any discounts owing to her employment state. In the pre-exchange market her coverage would have been unaffordable. She would have gone without.
This is pretty much the way Stuart Butler of the Heritage Foundation drew it up in 1989, when the conservative think tank was looking for an alternative to the single-payer and employer-mandate plans being offered by Democrats at that time. The ideas were reflected in the "Health Equity and Access Reform Today Act" proposed in 1993 by 18 Republicans, including Bob Dole.
The rigid opposition to the ACA today is a political act, and I really try not to do politics here. I prefer economics, numbers and markets. The economics, the numbers and the markets indicate that, for all Wall Street's boo-hooing, this law should work, and traders expect it to work.If you disagree, might I suggest some options on HNT, some bets that its exchanges will fail. But be warned: The heavy action right now, according to Yahoo! Finance is on the calls. At the time of publication, Blankenhorn had no positions in companies mentioned. Follow @DanaBlankenhor This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV