Global Competition Seeks Web Pros And Nonprofit Orgs To Make The Web More Accessible To People With Disabilities
Award winning community collaboration matches IT professionals, advocacy and arts organizations, and web accessibility experts to build a fully inclusive Web.
AUSTIN, Texas, Oct. 1, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Knowbility, an Austin-based nonprofit organization that advocates for equal access to communications technology for people with disabilities, announced today that their award-winning, 15 th annual Accessibility Internet Rally (AIR) Program, now called OpenAIR, has become a global competition and is open to web teams and nonprofit groups from all over the world. Sponsored by Deque and Adobe and led by IBM's CTO of Accessibility Richard Schwerdtfeger, the OpenAIR competition invites web professionals to receive disability awareness and accessible design skills training. In exchange, web pros agree to volunteer to create accessible web sites for participating nonprofit organizations. Sites will be entered into the competition and judged by a panel of accessibility experts. After two rounds of judging, winners will be announced at the 2014 SXSW Interactive's Dewey Winburne awards party. OpenAIR has been recognized for excellence and effectiveness by the Peter Drucker Foundation, the Congressional Black Caucus, the White House and others.
Who benefits"People with disabilities need equal access to information technology and web developers need the skills to meet those diverse needs," said Knowbility Executive Director and co-founder Sharron Rush. "The OpenAIR program addresses the needs of both communities."
- Nonprofit organizations benefit from the services of a team of web development professionals, free hosting and ongoing support services.
- Web developers benefit from professional development in web accessibility that is increasingly mandated by legislation, court decisions, and best practice.
- Fifty-five million Americans and 750 million people worldwide have disabilities that may impact their ability to use the web and fully participate in modern society. This competition raises awareness.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV