Schlage, America’s most trusted lock brand and a brand of Ingersoll Rand, today announced the findings of a nationwide survey that unlocks Americans’ concerns about home security and whom they trust to keep their possessions safe.
“As a company that is deeply rooted in safety and security, we know that consumers have a keen focus on safeguarding their tangible assets. October is National Crime Prevention Month, so there’s no better time to look into how Americans are safeguarding their families, homes and valuables,” said Ann Matheis, Schlage Brand Director. “At Schlage, we pride ourselves on giving consumers confidence in knowing that what’s important to them is safe and secure.”
The study, conducted by leading third-party research firm Kelton Global, surveyed a nationally representative sample of more than 1,000 Americans ages 18 and older. The results found that:
Americans are most likely to place trust in friends and family to safeguard their homes and provide peace of mind.
- Nearly three out of four (73 percent) respondents would ask friends or family to visit their homes when they are taking a trip, compared to only one-third (34 percent) of individuals who set an alarm to protect their homes in their absence.
- Almost one-third (31 percent) of adults who have spare keys ask relatives to look after them, while 13 percent entrust a friend to safeguard the spare set.
- Of the 80 percent of Americans who have at least one set of spare keys, a majority (46 percent) keep them inside their homes. Far fewer (8 percent) store their spare keys in a secure location, such as a safe deposit box.
- Almost twice as many respondents said they would lock up their valuables at home, rather than move them to another location while on an extended trip (43 percent vs. 27 percent).
- Fifty-six percent of parents who have given their children a set of keys admit that their number one concern is the possibility that their kids will lose or misplace them, leaving the children unable to enter their homes.
- Home security is the second biggest concern, with respondents claiming they would be most troubled that their kids might neglect to lock up when they leave the house.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts