LEUVEN, Belgium, October 1, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
Largest ever retrospective review of VMA/VMT patients confirms early treatment initiation may stop disease progression and lead to better visual function outcome
- Retrospective review of patients presenting with vitreomacular adhesion (VMA), vitreomacular traction (VMT), macular hole (MH) with/ without VMA, with or without visual symptoms (n=509)
- Review period: July 2009 - May 2013, with mean follow up of 2.03 years.
- VMA is a progressive disease: 16.4% of the eyes diagnosed with VMA progressed to VMT within one year.
- Exact time and/or impact of progression are patient dependent.
- Spontaneous resolution of VMA occurred in 20% of patients with VMT
- Early treatment may be required to stop further disease progression and improve visual function outcome.
ThromboGenics NV (Euronext Brussels: THR:BR), a biopharmaceutical company focused on developing and commercializing innovative ophthalmic medicines, announces that Prof. Dr. Peter Stalmans, Department of Ophthalmology, University Hospitals Leuven, Belgium, delivered a presentation entitled "Adoption of JETREA ® in My Everyday Practice", at the recent EURETINA annual meeting of European Society of Retina Specialists in Hamburg.
In his presentation, Prof. Stalmans provided details of the largest retrospective, observational study to date, that looked at his "real world" experience with patients with vitreomacular adhesion (VMA), vitreomacular traction (VMT) and macular hole (MH).Prof. Stalmans is working at a large, tertiary care ophthalmology center in Leuven ( Belgium). The Leuven center sees 50,000 ambulatory patients every year and conducts around 2500 intravitreal injections and 7000 surgical procedures per annum. The retrospective study is leveraging data collected from electronic medical records gathered at the center between July 2009 and May 2013. During EURETINA, Prof Stalmans also provided insights into his own successful clinical experience with JETREA ® when treating patients with early VMT and MH. Commenting on his presentation Prof. Dr. Peter Stalmans, Department of Ophthalmology, University Hospitals Leuven says, " This is the largest retrospective study conducted using high resolution OCT technology. The data collected clearly shows that VMA/VMT is a progressive condition and that spontaneous resolution of VMT is a low occurrence. Based on our findings I believe that early treatment of these patients may be important if we are to help them by resolving debilitating symptoms such as metamorphopsia, and further sight threatening complications such as macular hole. My own experience of treating patients experiencing metamorphopsia early with JETREA ® has been extremely good with the vast majority of patients experiencing resolution of their traction. I look forward to treating many more patients with this novel drug which I believe will play a key role in the treatment of a wide range of patients with VMT. " " This new VMA/VMT patient review is the largest ever available, " says Dr. Patrik De Haes, CEO of ThromboGenics. " For the first time, we are able to look at ' real life ' data provided from a tertiary center, " he continues. " We are pleased to see how the results highlight the opportunity for JETREA ® as an early treatment option for those patients who would normally only be observed. These new data and ' real life ' insights will help us to further educate the community about the risk of disease progression and the patient benefit of early treatment, " he concludes. A video interview with Prof. Stalmans at Euretina is available at this link: http://eyetube.net/series/daily-coverage-hamburg-2013/mesaj/ About ThromboGenics
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV