NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Tuesday night will mark the 2,000th episode of Jim Cramer's "Mad Money" TV program on CNBC. Together with Nicole Urken, the program's research director, Cramer talks about the show and some of the picks.
Cramer said that the one-man show wasn't one that seemed like it would last, but it proved to be helpful and accessible to individual investors.
Although some will argue that picking individual stocks is not the way to go for the average individual investor, Cramer has long urged investors to build wealth by selecting quality names with growth.
One example is Regeneron Pharmaceuticals (REGN), a stock that Cramer got behind when it was trading at $5. He said it was a buy after speaking with the CEO about its different types of drug treatments.The stock is now changing hands for more than $300. Netflix (NFLX) and Priceline.com (PCLN) were two others that were mentioned early on and are responsible for some handsome gains. Cramer said that although not all of his picks are winners, he tries to break down complex unknowns into understandable explanations for the retail investor. He concluded that the winning recipe for stock picking is to isolate the stocks that work and perform well, and then apply that method to other stocks. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell Action Alerts PLUS, which Cramer co-manages as a charitable trust, has no positions in the stocks mentioned.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV