So, those who are buying today are betting that the shutdown won't impact the numbers of the S&P companies and that the debt ceiling will be lifted by hook or by crook or by the Supreme Court.
They better hope so. Or they are going to be on the wrong side of this market, for certain.
Random Musings: My good friend Chris Matthews, who has the must-read "Tip and the Gipper" out today (I love all of his books) is looking for a protracted shutdown which, needless to say, is NOT in the numbers. Chris is too close to this to believe we shouldn't be thinking this more doomsday scenario couldn't happen. I still think it is an outside chance. But Chris is always worth listening to, and reading.
Action Alerts PLUS, which Cramer co-manages as a charitable trust, has no positions in the stocks mentioned.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV