And yet somehow the financial crisis, despite being caused in large part by deregulation, gave us the Tea Party, which wants even less regulation.
Government works so poorly for so many that it's easy to see how exploding it can become attractive. What's harder to see is that one of the reasons it works so badly is because -- ever since the Reagan era -- we've been cutting taxes, making it weaker all the time. The Tea Party may say our country is headed in the wrong direction, but the truth is that their "shut it down" philosophy has been driving the bus for decades. They just want to step on the accelerator.
-- Written by Dan Freed in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV