NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Netflix (NFLX - Get Report) shares were higher out of the gate in Tuesday trading, buttressed by MKM Partners' revised price target upgrade to $370 from $285. MKM Partners reasserted its Buy rating on the view Netflix's international subscriber numbers will be higher than expected.
Netflix will report third-quarter 2013 financial results on October 21.
Netflix shares are up 2.46% to $316.80 as of 10 a.m. EST. In the year to date, shares have surged 243.4% higher.
TheStreet Ratings team rates Netflix as a Hold with a ratings score of C. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- NFLX's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 17.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 20.3%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The gross profit margin for Netflix is currently very high, coming in at 80.03%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 2.75% is above that of the industry average.
- Netflix reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, Netflix reported lower earnings of 29 cents vs. $4.17 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.45 vs. 29 cents).
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. When compared to other companies in the Internet & Catalog Retail industry and the overall market, Netflix's return on equity is below that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: NFLX Ratings Report
Written by Keris Alison Lahiff.