Arthritis Foundation Launches Unique Resource to Help Individuals with Arthritis
Find the Right Plan
Oct. 1, 2013
/PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The
announces today the launch of its online
Health Insurance Marketplace Toolkit
. The online guide aims to help consumers, especially those with arthritis, understand the new Health Insurance Marketplace and make informed decisions about their health care coverage and benefit needs.
Starting in 2014, most Americans will have to purchase health insurance as mandated by the Affordable Care Act (ACA). Many people, including millions previously uninsured, will choose to purchase plans via the newly created Marketplace established by the ACA.
Choosing insurance often can be confusing, especially if it's a person's first time and they have a chronic condition like arthritis, which requires special care. They must be sure to select a plan that covers the services they need, including certain medications (such as biologics), devices and surgeries. They also may need coverage for joint replacement, physical therapy or other specialized health care services. To help consumers understand all of these factors when researching Marketplace and Medicare options, the Arthritis Foundation created its Health Insurance Marketplace Toolkit, available online at
"As open enrollment kicks off, consumers will begin the sometimes confusing and difficult process of choosing a health plan that adequately serves their health care needs," said Arthritis Foundation President and CEO,
Ann M. Palmer
. "Our goal is to aid them and simplify the purchasing process by providing a toolkit tailored to meet the individual needs of a person living with arthritis."
Arthritis Foundation Health Insurance Marketplace Toolkit
was created to assist people living with arthritis and their loved ones in the health insurance decision-making process. Information is available in an easy-to-navigate online guide that helps consumers with arthritis understand their options and make the best health insurance decision. In addition, it brings together information and tools from several different government, foundation, nonprofit and health policy organizations. Consumers will find the following resources from the Arthritis Foundation in the toolkit:
- New To Health Insurance? A User's Guide—Introductory materials to assist new health insurance purchasers
- Health Reform—Resources to help people understand how the ACA's health reforms will affect them
- Understanding Your Choices—Tools to help consumers learn about their options in the new Marketplace
- Managing Your Costs—Tips and tools to help consumers manage their health care costs as well as an easy-to-use map with details on all 50 states' Marketplace plan options
- Picking the Right Plan—Resources to help people select the right plan with state-specific information
- Arthritis Foundation's Health Insurance Marketplace Checklist—A checklist containing questions and considerations that an individual with arthritis should ask when selecting a plan in the Marketplace
To learn more about the new Health Insurance Marketplace and considerations for individuals with arthritis, visit
About the Arthritis Foundation
Striking one in every five adults and 300,000 children, arthritis is the nation's leading cause of disability. The Arthritis Foundation (
) is committed to raising awareness and reducing the unacceptable impact of this serious and painful disease, which can severely damage joints and rob people of living life to its fullest. The Foundation funds life-changing research that has restored mobility in patients for more than six decades; fights for health care policies that improve the lives of the millions who live with arthritis; and partners with families to provide empowering programs and information.
SOURCE Arthritis Foundation