Moms Demand Action For Gun Sense In America Launches October Domestic Gun Violence Awareness Campaign
INDIANAPOLIS, Oct. 1, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- In honor of Domestic Violence Awareness Month, Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America today launched a domestic gun violence awareness campaign to push for stronger policies surrounding domestic violence and gun ownership. The campaign includes state-specific press events on Oct. 19, a week of action including in-district meetings with key members of Congress, an email and phone outreach program, and a social media project: http://momsdemandaction.org/domestic-gun-violence/.
Moms Demand Action is partnering with the Violence Policy Center (VPC) to promote its newly released report, When Men Murder Women: An Analysis of 2011 Homicide Data, which lists the top 10 states with the highest rates of females murdered by males in single victim/single offender incidents in 2011. Based on data from the Federal Bureau of Investigation's unpublished "Supplementary Homicide Report," the top 10 states (from one to 10) are: South Carolina, Alaska, Oklahoma, Delaware, Arizona, Tennessee, Idaho, West Virginia, Louisiana and New Mexico.
According to the new report:
- Firearms—especially handguns—were the most common weapon used by males to murder females in 2011.
- Of the females killed with a firearm, nearly two-thirds were murdered by male intimates.
- The number of females shot and killed by their husband or intimate acquaintance (489 victims) was more than five times higher than the total number murdered by male strangers using all weapons combined (92 victims) in single victim/single offender incidents in 2011.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV