North American Vegetarian Society Celebrates World Vegetarian Day On October 1 With Contest Kick-off
DOLGEVILLE, N.Y., Oct. 1, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Vegetarians and interested individuals from around the globe will be joining with the North American Vegetarian Society on October 1st, 2013, for the annual celebration of World Vegetarian Day . Since its inception in 1977, the event has commemorated the health-supporting and life affirming benefits of vegetarianism. World Vegetarian Day is the annual kick-off of Vegetarian Awareness Month. There are many reasons people choose a vegetarian diet. It has proven health benefits, save animals' lives and helps to preserve the Earth.
To encourage non-vegetarians to give meatless eating a try, the North American Vegetarian Society has developed a contest with cash prizes. Non-vegetarians who pledge to abstain from all meat, fish and fowl during Vegetarian Awareness Month (October) can enter in a random drawing for monetary prizes. The first-prize winner will receive $1000. One winner will be chosen in each of the following three categories: One day $250 -- One week $500 -- One month $1,000.
People can enter the "Give Vegetarianism a Try" contest at
Researchers at Harvard University say red meat can increase your risk of premature death. Eating one serving a day of unprocessed red meat (about the size of a deck of cards) was associated with a 13% increased risk in premature death; eating one serving a day of processed red meat (one hot dog or two slices of bacon) was associated with a 20% increased risk of premature death.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV