Government Of Canada Takes Steps To Tackle Seniors' Social Isolation
TORONTO, Oct. 1, 2013 /CNW/ - To mark National Seniors Day, the Honourable Alice Wong, Minister of State (Seniors), today announced a Call for Proposals to fund approximately 20 pilot projects—an investment of $2,000,000—aimed at addressing seniors' social isolation.
"Social isolation has a negative effect on the health and well-being of seniors. The Harper government is taking action to ensure that seniors maintain a high quality of life and continue to be active members of their communities," said Minister Wong. "Through these pilot projects, our government continues to look at innovative solutions to address seniors' issues, particularly social isolation, by leveraging social partnerships to marshal the resources needed to support seniors in our communities."
These pilot projects will be eligible to receive between $50,000 and $100,000 of federal funding over a maximum of 24 months which will be matched with funding from other sources. The New Horizons for Seniors Program (NHSP) pilot projects will also pursue intergenerational learning projects that help seniors develop new interests and share their knowledge and experience with others.
The application period begins on October 3, 2013 and will close on November 13, 2013. Additional information and application details is available online.Through Economic Action Plan 2013, the Government proposes to better safeguard the well-being of seniors in a variety of areas, including financial services, financial literacy and health. For a wide range of information for seniors, including details on the NHSP, please visit seniors.gc.ca.
New Horizons for Seniors Program The New Horizons for Seniors Program (NHSP) is a federal grants and contributions program that supports projects led or inspired by seniors who make a difference in the lives of others and their communities.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV