Campbell Soup Company (NYSE:CPB) announced today that it has signed a definitive agreement for the sale of its European simple meals business to CVC Capital Partners (CVC), a leading global private equity firm.
On Aug. 12, 2013, Campbell announced that it was in final and exclusive negotiations for the potential sale of its European simple meals business to CVC. Following the completion of information and consultation procedures conducted with its European and local works councils in accordance with applicable laws, Campbell has entered into a binding share purchase agreement with CVC.
Under the terms of the agreement, CVC will acquire Campbell’s national brands of soups, sauces and simple meals, including Liebig and Royco in France , Erasco in Germany , Blå Band in Sweden and Devos Lemmens and Royco in Belgium, for a purchase price of 400 million euros . The transaction also includes four plants in Puurs, Belgium; Le Pontet, France; Lubeck, Germany; and Karpalund, Sweden. Campbell intends to use the proceeds of the sale to pay down debt and for other general corporate purposes.
The agreement does not include Campbell’s recently-acquired Kelsen Group, which will continue its operations in Denmark and the export of its products to countries in Europe and throughout the world. Campbell will continue to export Pepperidge Farm products throughout Europe and Campbell’s products in the United Kingdom and the Middle East and Africa.Denise Morrison, Campbell’s President and Chief Executive Officer, said, “This sale reflects a strategic choice. We are in the process of reshaping our portfolio to change Campbell’s future growth trajectory. As part of this effort, we will be focusing our investments, resources and talent on building the brands that we believe we can grow around the world, strengthening our core and expanding our business in faster-growing geographies and categories.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV