TAMPA, Fla., Oct. 1, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- With Florida's new texting ban taking effect today, students at Bishop McLaughlin Catholic High School (BMCHS) in Spring Hill are experiencing first-hand the dangers of texting while driving through an AT&T simulator. But the simulator isn't the only reminder for students that texting behind the wheel can have deadly consequences. As part of today's event, a scholarship will be awarded to a BMCHS student in memory of Allie Augello, a former Bishop McLaughlin student killed at age 17 in a 2008 automobile accident caused by another teen driver who was texting.
Allie's tragic loss is an example of why AT&T is taking simulators to hundreds of schools around the country. Teens are prolific texters and novice drivers, and that makes for a deadly combination on the road. The simulator events are part of the It Can Wait movement, started by AT&T in 2010 to address the growing danger of texting-while-driving. The message behind It Can Wait is simple but powerful: No text is worth dying for.
"No family should have to go through what we've gone through," said Steve Augello. "Losing a child is something you never get over. That's why it's so critical to help spread the It Can Wait message and take the pledge to never text and drive."In remembrance of Allie, Steve and his wife Agnes will attend the BMCHS simulator event to award a student with a scholarship from the Allie Augello Scholarship Fund. To be considered for the scholarship, students were asked to write an essay on the dangers of texting and driving. The top 10 essays were selected and a winner was chosen by the Augellos. It will be the first time since Allie's death that the couple has addressed the school's faculty or students.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV