Dell Software today announced that NetVault® Backup, its enterprise data protection solution, has been fully integrated with the Dell DR4100, a scalable, disk backup appliance with built-in deduplication and compression capabilities. The integration is reflective of Dell Software’s ongoing effort to deliver integrated, end-to-end solutions that address today’s most salient customer challenges, including the need to transform data centers to deliver increased efficiency and scalability, and the need to protect critical data and information across the enterprise. Seamless integration between NetVault Backup and the DR4100 enables customers to minimize network traffic, shrink backup windows, and maximize storage savings while protecting critical data across a wide range of operating systems and applications running in complex physical and virtual environments.
The integration comes at a key time for customers grappling with the explosion of data across the enterprise. According to Gartner 1 analyst Dave Russell, “The value of data reduction technologies, such as deduplication cannot be overstated. Deduplication improves the economics of disk-based backup and recovery approaches by reducing data — resulting in significantly lower disk requirements and cost, and providing more efficient and faster replication of backup data to off-site locations.”
NetVault Backup now leverages the DR4100 Rapid Data Access (RDA) technology, providing a deeper level of integration and automation. NetVault retains end-to-end control of all backup tasks, while delegating control of storage management to the DR4100 appliance. This unique and powerful combination delivers a host of critical customer benefits, including:
- Faster backups. Tighter integration between NetVault and the DR4100 via RDA results in significantly faster backup rates. ESG Lab testing with multiple simultaneous streams validated a 7.5TB per hour ingest rate using this solution 2 .
- Source-side deduplication. By way of the DR4100 advanced deduplication and compression technology, NetVault customers can now deduplicate data directly at the source of the backup. This source-side approach minimizes backup traffic over the network, while test results show the use of deduplication can reduce the overall storage footprint by up to 91 percent 2.
- Optimized replication for efficient disaster recovery. Customers can now schedule and manage replication of deduplicated data from one DR4100 appliance to another, directly from the NetVault Backup console, enabling a variety of disaster recovery and remote-office backup scenarios. NetVault is automatically made aware of the completion and location of replicated data copies, enabling fast restores and reliable disaster recovery.
- Consolidated tape storage. As data volumes grow and businesses become more distributed across remote sites, decentralized tape libraries have become increasingly expensive to maintain and time-consuming to manage. NetVault Backup customers can now ease that burden by replicating backup data from multiple DR4100 appliances to a single target, and then archiving that consolidated data to tape.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts