- On October 16, 2012 we announced our business agreement with JUNE Industry Ltd. to grow Giant King Grass for commercial applications in Myanmar (formerly known as Burma). Myanmar has the perfect climate for growing Giant King Grass and there is a great need for electricity and economic growth there. Myanmar's recent national reconciliation and economic reforms have placed it on the world stage of business development. Our CEO, Dr. Carl Kukkonen has traveled to Myanmar twice in the past few months and we will soon report on our overall progress and plans there.
- On January 14, 2013 we announced that VIASPACE had shipped Giant King Grass seedlings from our California nursery to Hawaii and planted them in a quarantine facility there on December 19, 2012 to be grown under the purview of the Hawaii Department of Agriculture. Those plants will be released in less than three months on December 20, 2013 and the seedlings from those very plants will then be available to start our business in Hawaii. Anyone wanting to bring a new biocrop into Hawaii would have to go through the same process. We have waited a year and Hawaii is on our immediate horizon now. VIASPACE sees tremendous opportunity in the State of Hawaii.
- On January 28, 2013 we announced that VIASPACE had signed a project agreement with Selectra CC of Johannesburg South Africa to grow and examine using Giant King Grass to remediate/restore gold mine affected land through the removal of heavy metals by phytoremediation and by returning organic matter into the mine tailings to make usable soil. Selecta had previously grown sorghum and beets on the mine tailings, but those are annual crops. Giant King Grass is a perennial crop that does not require replanting every year and it also develops an extensive root system to deposit organic matter into the soil. The plan there is to take a major environmental problem and turn it into a major asset by using Giant King Grass for the dual purposes of remediating mine affected soil and then building adjacent biomass power plants to generate electricity from Giant King Grass. On June 6, 2013 we updated the Selectra project in South Africa to report that Giant King Grass was growing well on the mine tailings and the trial project was extended to December 2013. We believe that Giant King Grass is now a leading candidate to be used simultaneously to reclaim gold mine affected lands through the process of phytoremediation and then continuously harvested to create bioelectricity.
- On February 20, 2013 VIASPACE announced our initial contract to grow Giant King Grass with Grain Hill/AGRICORP in Nicaragua, and then on May 21, 2013 we announced that VIASPACE and Grain Hill/AGRICORP signed a joint development agreement to build and operate a 12MW power plant co-located with a 2,100 acre Giant King Grass plantation and adjacent rice plantation on irrigated land near Lake Nicaragua. Giant King Grass is growing extremely well in Nicaragua and our partnership with Grain Hill/AGRICORP is progressing nicely. We have a power plant partner, power plant specifications, a full financial model in place and have been meeting with development banks. In this business model, VIASPACE derives revenue both from its Giant King Grass license fee and also from the profits from the sale of electricity.
- On May 30, 2013 we announced that VIASPACE signed a Giant King Grass supply contract with Sagay Central, Inc. of Bacolod City, Negros Occidental, Philippines. Sagay Central, founded in 1945, is a sugar milling and sugar growing company in the center of the Philippines sugar industry and they produce 150,000 tons of sugar per year. Their expertise and experience with growing sugar cane makes them a perfect fit for growing Giant King Grass with a plan for local electricity generation and export to Korea and Japan. Our agronomist recently spent time with Sagay and an update is forthcoming.
- On July 1, 2013 we announced that the Virgin Islands Water and Power Authority (WAPA) Governing Board approved a 25-year Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) with Tibbar Energy for the Giant King Grass fueled, 7MW biomass power plant project on St. Croix. The 25-year Power Purchase Agreement is a major milestone and the approved project is the first of its kind in the Caribbean region. This 7MW anaerobic digestion power plant mimics the process in a cow's stomach to produce biomethane which is then used in an engine generator set to produce clean, renewable and carbon-neutral electricity. The byproduct of anaerobic digestion is organic fertilizer which will be put back on the Giant King Grass fields. Our St. Croix project can be duplicated on any tropical island nation desiring a better, less expensive, green energy solution to creating local electricity and farming jobs than using expensive, high carbon output fossil fuels to burn and create electricity.
- On August 6, 2013 we expanded our Board of Directors by appointing Mr. Khurram Irshad. Mr. Irshad is founder of Winergy Pakistan (Pvt.) Limited which is developing the world's largest biogas plant based on 500,000 dairy animals at Landhi Cattle Colony in Karachi, Pakistan. Director Irshad has demonstrated biomass business experience, a network of trusted connections, an entrepreneurial nature and he is actively pursuing renewable energy projects in Pakistan, Africa, Asia and here in the U.S.
- On August 20, 2013 we announced that when Giant King Grass is cut frequently every 45-60 days at 4-5 feet tall, that it is an excellent high protein animal feed very similar in nutritional value to oat hay. Then, last week on September 24, 2013, VIASPACE announced that the Company had entered into a contract with Maricopa Bio Crops, LLC for a planned first phase 4,500 acre Giant King Grass plantation to produce Giant King Grass hay for cattle feed in Arizona with two additional phases planned. The very first phase project represents estimated profit sharing revenues to VIASPACE of $1.3 million per year and we are planning two additional phases with incremental profit sharing revenues with each phase. This project has already started and that progress will be reported very soon."
VIASPACE Chairman Commemorates First Year And Outlines Future Plans
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts