NEW YORK , Oct. 1, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Constellium N.V. (NYSE and Euronext NYSE: CSTM) announced today that in collaboration with Brunel University and Jaguar Land Rover, it has successfully obtained an unprecedented £4.4M ( Euro 5.1M) grant allocation from the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) in the United Kingdom for the creation of a national scale-up facility for automotive light metals research.
Brunel University will supplement this grant with a further £2.5M ( Euro 2.9M) for a dedicated building and support resource at their site in London.
The goal of the "Advanced Light Metals Processing Research Centre" will be to bridge the gap between fundamental research and industrial applications. Constellium will be co-director of the Centre and will therefore have full access for research and development projects.
The Centre aims to provide high-performance light alloys, resource-efficient casting technologies, extrusion processing technologies and component innovations to meet the mid- and long-term needs of the automotive industry. Of key strategic importance to Constellium will be a fully integrated DC casting and extrusion laboratory, which is planned to include a full-size 1600ton extrusion press complete with support facilities and full automation. Constellium intends to use these facilities for three areas of research:
- Lightweight material design: the development of a range of AA6xxx alloys with properties that exceed the present industry benchmark in terms of strength, formability and corrosion resistance. We believe that the new alloys, together with advanced die design that reduce and optimize wall thickness and integrate extruded sections with cast and pressed sheet components, will provide design solutions that will increase weight saving and vehicle productivity.
- Sustainability/Recycling: to explore the increased use of process scrap and end-of-life scrap in alloy formation in order to minimize the use of primary metal, all without a significant degradation in properties.
- Joining, pre-treatment and vehicle integration: to optimize the functionality of extruded sections for vehicle integration, including in-line surface pre-treatment and in-line fabrication, cutting, punching and bending.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV