BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- The drama surrounding the government shutdown held a gun to Wall Street's head to start the week. Well, kinda, sorta.
Stocks actually held their ground pretty well in spite of yesterday's headlines. And the sky isn't falling today either.
In fact, looking back on a historical basis since 1976, research from Bank of America Merrill Lynch's Equity and Quant Strategy group shows that markets tend to perform well in the wake of a government shutdown threats on Capitol Hill. The timing is pretty good too: "New month, new market" has been stocks' mantra all year long. So investors should brace themselves for more of the same now that October trading kicked off at the opening bell this morning.To take full advantage of a change in trend, we're taking a technical look at five stock trades worth trading this week. >>5 Big Trades to Take Right Now For the unfamiliar, technical analysis is a way for investors to quantify qualitative factors, such as investor psychology, based on a stock's price action and trends. Once the domain of cloistered trading teams on Wall Street, technicals can help top traders make consistently profitable trades and can aid fundamental investors in better planning their stock execution. So, without further ado, let's take a look at five technical setups worth trading now.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV