NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Each time I've written an article that's not explicitly favorable about a particular company, investors often go out of their way to make it known that the opinion is not appreciated. It never fails.
But I never could quite understand how those who invest in Cypress Semiconductor (CY) continue to ignore the frequency with which management of this company present people like me with negative material.
As much as I've covered semiconductor companies, it has always amazed me of how Cypress, which, in my opinion, has a well-diversified operation that (in some instances) exceed the likes of Qualcomm (QCOM) and Broadcom (BRCM). But management has failed to produce on that potential. Yet, investors have consistently given the company a pass, believing the "next time is the charm." After Cypress' earnings warning last week, I don't believe management will ever realize the value that it has promised to deliver over the past three years.
Last week, citing weakness in both mobile computing and its Asian markets, Cypress not only cut its outlook for its third-quarter earnings due out in a couple of weeks, but the company also lowered its fourth-quarter forecast. Given that it hasn't been a stellar year for the entire chip sector, Cypress' earnings warnings comes as no surprise. But unlike, say, Broadcom and Qualcomm, which are also battling high-end device saturation and low average selling prices (ASP), Cypress, which does not have the benefit of being in Apple (AAPL) products, continues to be at a disadvantage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV