5. Prosperity Bancshares
Prosperity Bancshares (PB) of Houston has seen its stock return 46% this year through Friday's close at $60.73.
The shares trade for 3.8 times their reported June 30 tangible book value of $16.05, and for 15.2 times the consensus 2014 earnings estimate of $4.00 a share, among analysts polled by Thomson Reuters. The consensus 2013 EPS estimate is $3.58. Based on a quarterly payout of 21.5 cents, the shares have a dividend yield of 1.42%.
The company's efficiency ratio during the 12-month period ended Sept. 30 was 42.13%, according to Thomson Reuters Bank Insight.Prosperity had $16.3 billion in total assets as of June 30. On Aug. 29 the company announced an agreement to acquire F&M Bancorporation of Tulsa, Okla., for roughly $244 million in stock and cash. F&M had $2.4 billion in assets as of June 30, with 10 F&M Bank branches in the Tulsa area and three in Dallas. The deal is expected to close during the first quarter of 2014. Prosperity also has a deal in place to acquire FVNB Corp. of Victoria, Texas, for about $287.5 million in stock and cash. FVNB had $2.4 billion in assets, with 34 First Victory National Bank offices, including 12 branches in the Houston area, and one loan production office. Following the announcement of the F&M deal, KBW analyst Jefferson Harralson reiterated his "outperform" rating for Prosperity Bancshares, with a price target of $65, saying in a note to clients that "By our estimates, the deal is 2.8% accretive to 2014 EPS
Interested in more on Prosperity Bancshares? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV