Small Businesses Say They're Confused by Obamacare Exchanges
Those with 50 or more employees will be required to provide health insurance for their staff under the employer mandate, which has also been delayed until 2015.
The survey just reinforced the confusion that small-business owners feel regarding the health care law.
"Millions of America's smallest business owners are heading into the opening of the enrollment period tomorrow confused and unsettled about the new health care system," said Katie Vlietstra, NASE's director of government affairs. "As the government faces a potential shutdown, a majority of our membership has not yet even visited the online marketplace to explore options while over 65% expect to pay more for their coverage. Just a day away from open enrollment, our membership - like millions of Americans - are frankly unsure how the new law will impact them or how to even approach the new system."
Approximately 76% of NASE's members had health care as of 2011, according to the association."The confusion is about how the individual market will work, what they are required to purchase and what their expected costs will be - [a] general lack of understanding about how the new law will work and operate. The lack of information about expected costs are most likely the largest concern. Most of our members are expected to pay significantly more despite it being more comprehensive coverage," Vlietstra said in a follow-up email. -- Written by Laurie Kulikowski in New York. Follow @LKulikowski To contact Laurie Kulikowski, send an email to: Laurie.Kulikowski@thestreet.com. >To submit a news tip, email: email@example.com.
Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV