The 2013 judging panel includes:
- Professor Abhijit Banerjee, Economist
- John Bowis, OBE, Honorary President, Health First Europe
- Sir Terry Farrell, CBE, International Architect & Design Champion and Director, Terry Farrell and Partners
- Edwin Heathcote, Architecture and Design Critic, Financial Times (co-chair)
- Bruno Lanvin, Executive Director, European Competitiveness Initiative, INSEAD (co-chair)
- Janice Muthui, Foundation Manager, Community Cooker Foundation, 2012 FT/Citi Ingenuity Awards global winner
- Professor Carlo Ratti, Italian Architect and Engineer
- Professor Anne-Marie Slaughter, President, New America Foundation
- Luanne Zurlo, Founder and President, Worldfund
For more details on the FT/Citi Ingenuity Awards, please visit www.ft.com/ingenuity or follow the conversation at #FTCitiAwards.
THE FINALISTS FOR THE 2013 FT/CITI INGENUITY AWARDAFRICA & MIDDLE EAST Bicycling Empowerment Network The Bicycle Empowerment Network, initiated in response to demand for affordable bicycles and maintenance services, has created small business opportunities in urban areas of Namibia, while also helping to finance community services. Each Enterprise Box set up by the Network is run by entrepreneurs newly trained in technical and business skills who sell refurbished bicycles, spare parts and repair services. Revenue is used for working capital as well as development of new business opportunities, ranging from solar energy products and electric grain milling to office services, computer training and internet access. A network of 30 Enterprise Boxes has created over 100 full-time jobs, and in 2012 distributed nearly 6,000 affordable bicycles to disadvantaged communities. Profits from two projects in Windhoek support employment training for women and a centre that runs a kindergarten and after-school program. LEAP Africa The Leadership, Ethics and Civics program, launched by Leap Africa in 2008, equips public secondary school students in Nigeria with the life and leadership skills they require to serve as agents of social change, implementing a range of projects focused on improving lives in their local communities.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts