Trade-Ideas: Medtronic (MDT) Is Today's "Barbarian At The Gate" Stock
- MDT has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $178.5 million.
- MDT has traded 336,513 shares today.
- MDT traded in a range 244.1% of the normal price range with a price range of $1.27.
- MDT traded above its daily resistance level (quality: 6 days, meaning that the stock is crossing a resistance level set by the last 6 calendar days. The resistance price is defined by the Price - $0.01 at the time of the signal).
Stocks matching the 'Barbarian at the Gate' criteria are worthwhile stocks to watch for a variety of factors including historical back testing and volatility. Trade-Ideas targets these opportunities because the stock is exhibiting an unusual behavior while displaying positive price action. In this case, the stock crossed an important inflection point; namely, 'resistance' while at the same time the range of the stock s movement in price is more than twice its normal size. This large range foreshadows a possible continuation as the stock moves higher. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in MDT with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for MDT NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on MDT: Medtronic, Inc. manufactures and sells device-based medical therapies worldwide. The company operates in two segments, Cardiac and Vascular Group, and Restorative Therapies Group. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 2.1%. MDT has a PE ratio of 15.4. Currently there are 6 analysts that rate Medtronic a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 12 rate it a hold. The average volume for Medtronic has been 4.5 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Medtronic has a market cap of $53.3 billion and is part of the health care sector and health services industry. The stock has a beta of 0.96 and a short float of 1.2% with 3.57 days to cover. Shares are up 30.3% year to date as of the close of trading on Friday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Medtronic as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, solid stock price performance, growth in earnings per share, increase in net income and reasonable valuation levels. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows weak operating cash flow. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- MDT's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 2.0%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 1.9%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- Investors have apparently begun to recognize positive factors similar to those we have mentioned in this report, including earnings growth. This has helped drive up the company's shares by a sharp 26.07% over the past year, a rise that has exceeded that of the S&P 500 Index. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, MDT should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- MEDTRONIC INC has improved earnings per share by 12.0% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, MEDTRONIC INC increased its bottom line by earning $3.38 versus $3.24 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.82 versus $3.38).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and greatly outperformed compared to the Health Care Equipment & Supplies industry average. The net income increased by 10.3% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $864.00 million to $953.00 million.
- You can view the full Medtronic Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts