The UPS Foundation, the philanthropic arm of UPS (NYSE: UPS), today announced it will mark the start of the company’s 10 th annual Global Volunteer Month (GVM) on October 1 by pledging to plant another one million trees around the world. The UPS Foundation also announced it has awarded $2.3 million in grants to support environmental programs and forestry-focused initiatives globally.
In 2011, the company announced a new Global Forestry Initiative to help plant, protect and preserve trees in the U.S. and around the globe. The following year, The UPS Foundation began its yearlong effort to plant one million trees worldwide for this environmental program. To date, more than 1.3 million trees have already been planted.
“Investing in tree planting and reforestation is strategic to our environmental sustainability program,” said Eduardo Martinez, president of The UPS Foundation. “It also builds resiliency in our communities and engages tens of thousands of UPSers who help plant these trees around the world.”
The recipients of the 2013 environmental grants are as follows:
- Earth Day Network to allocate grant dollars to support the Trees for Communities project, including planting 390,000 trees in five countries and the Boreal Forest in Canada.
- Keep America Beautiful, Inc. toward community and post-recovery tree planting grants and support of the 2014 Vision for America Awards.
- National Arbor Day Foundation to support the UPS Employee Forest Program and reforestation in priority areas throughout the United States and abroad.
- The Nature Conservancy for the UPS Global Forestry Initiative for reforestation efforts in the United States, Brazil, Guatemala, Haiti and China, forest conservation in Canada, climate policy in Europe and to support the Healthy Cities Healthy Trees initiative.
- World Resources Institute toward The Greenhouse Gas Protocol and reducing methane emissions from natural gas systems.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV