Trade-Ideas: Magnum Hunter Resources Corportion (MHR) Is Today's "Perilous Reversal" Stock
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.Trade-Ideas LLC identified Magnum Hunter Resources Corportion (MHR) as a "perilous reversal" (up big yesterday but down big today) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Magnum Hunter Resources Corportion as such a stock due to the following factors:
- MHR has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $29.5 million.
- MHR has traded 10.0 million shares today.
- MHR is down 4.4% today.
- MHR was up 7.8% yesterday.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in MHR with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for MHR NOW at Trade-IdeasMore details on MHR: Magnum Hunter Resources Corporation, an independent oil and gas company, engages in the exploration, exploitation, acquisition, development, and production of crude oil, natural gas, and natural gas liquid resources in the United States and Canada. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 10.2%. Currently there are 7 analysts that rate Magnum Hunter Resources Corportion a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 4 rate it a hold.The average volume for Magnum Hunter Resources Corportion has been 3.4 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Magnum Hunter Resources Corportion has a market cap of $937.6 million and is part of the basic materials sector and energy industry. The stock has a beta of 2.49 and a short float of 25.2% with 8.21 days to cover. Shares are up 38.3% year to date as of the close of trading on Thursday.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.TheStreetRatings.com Analysis:TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Magnum Hunter Resources Corportion as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, solid stock price performance and compelling growth in net income. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including disappointing return on equity, weak operating cash flow and poor profit margins.Highlights from the ratings report include:
- MHR's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 6.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 97.9%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- The stock has risen over the past year as investors have generally rewarded the company for its earnings growth and other positive factors like the ones we have cited in this report. Despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year, there is currently no conclusive evidence that warrants the purchase or sale of this stock.
- MAGNUM HUNTER RESOURCES CORP has improved earnings per share by 21.1% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, MAGNUM HUNTER RESOURCES CORP reported poor results of -$1.16 versus -$0.82 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (-$0.53 versus -$1.16).
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to -$3.75 million or 114.94% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- Current return on equity is lower than its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of weakness within the company. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, MAGNUM HUNTER RESOURCES CORP's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Magnum Hunter Resources Corportion Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12-months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV