Exelis ( NYSE: XLS) has completed negotiations for two production contracts from Boeing Co. to supply sonobuoy launchers and carriage and release systems for the U.S. Navy’s P-8A Poseidon multimission maritime aircraft.
Exelis will supply systems that will include rotary, single-shot sonobuoy pneumatic launchers and pneumatic carriage and release equipment. The Exelis-designed Sonobuoy Launching System (SLS) is planned to provide aircrews with a high-performance airborne launching capability.
“Unlike conventional launch devices, the Exelis SLS employs compressed air, rather than electro-explosive charges, to deploy payloads,” said Pete Martin, director of defense systems for the Exelis electronic attack & release systems business.
Introduced into service in 2012, the P-8A Poseidon is a modified Boeing 737 airliner designed to engage submarines and surface ships. Deliveries of the Exelis SLS will begin in October 2014 with work being completed at the Exelis facilities in Amityville, N.Y.About Exelis Exelis is a diversified, top-tier global aerospace, defense, information and services company that leverages a 50-year legacy of deep customer knowledge and technical expertise to deliver affordable, mission-critical solutions for global customers. We are a leader in critical networks, ISR and analytics, electronic warfare, navigation, sensors, air traffic solutions, communications and information systems and have strong positions in composite aerostructures, logistics and technical services. Headquartered in McLean, Va., the company employs about 19,000 people and generated 2012 sales of $5.5 billion. For more information, visit our website at www.exelisinc.com or connect with us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV